Certificates: awarded to students who complete an approved curriculum of 30 to 59 semester hours.
Career Studies Certificates: awarded to students completing approved curricula with 9 to 29 semester hours.
Associate of Science Degree
The Associate Science (AS) degree is awarded to students majoring in one of the transfer curricula (Business Administration, Education, General Studies and Science) who plan on transferring to a four-year college or university after completing their respective program. The Associate of Science degrees permit students to adopt a TransferVirginia Common Curriculum, learn more at www.transfervirginia.org. Associate of Science degrees range from 60 CR to 63 CR. Curricula for the Associate of Science (AS) are designed for students who plan to complete a baccalaureate degree program at a four-year college or university. The Associate of Science programs each take four semesters or two years of full-time study. Embedded in the AS degree is the Uniform Certificate of General Studies , which takes two semesters or one year of full-time study. Students who complete the Associate Science Degree are eligible to take advantage of the many Guaranteed Admissions Agreements that the Virginia Community College System has with a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities.
For the AS degree, approximately one-third of the program consists of elective courses which the student chooses in accordance with the course of study he or she plans to pursue at a four-year school. Students planning to transfer to a particular institution should work with both their MGCC academic advisor and an advisor at the four-year college or university of their choice to assure that all courses taken at MGCC are necessary and transferable to their chosen four-year major. MGCC AS degrees meet the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) General Education Requirements and the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) General Education Core Competency and general education learning outcomes related to Civic Engagement, Critical Thinking, Professional Readiness, Scientific Literacy, Quantitative Literacy Written Communication.
Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Associate of Applied Science (AAS) is awarded to students majoring in one of the occupational-technical curricula who may either plan to obtain employment immediately upon graduation from MGCC or transfer to an appropriate bachelor’s degree program. AAS degrees range from 60 CR to 69 CR.
Associate of Applied Science degree contain 15 CR of general education requirements and are evaluated using general education learning outcomes related to Civic Engagement, Critical Thinking, Professional Readiness, Scientific Literacy, Quantitative Literacy Written Communication.
Associate Degree Requirements
To be awarded an associate degree from the College, a student must have:
- Completed the required semester hours in the degree program, of which 25 percent (excluding those received through advanced placement or credit by exam) must be acquired at MGCC.
- Fulfilled all of the course requirements of the particular curriculum as outlined in the College catalog.
- Been recommended for graduation by the appropriate instructional authority in the curriculum.
- Completed the general education requirements (course work in English, Health, Mathematics/Science, College Success Skills, Physical Education, Humanities and Social Science) for an associate degree.
- Earned a grade point average of at least 2.0 on all studies which are applicable toward graduation in the particular curriculum.
- Filed an Application for Graduation in Student Services before December 1.
- Resolved all financial obligations to the College and returned all materials, including library books.
- Completed all required assessments and surveys including a test of competency in general education.
MGCC offers several certificate programs, which are described by category in this catalog and range from 30 CR to 59 CR. To be awarded a certificate, the student must have completed all academic requirements for the particular certificate and also have completed numbers five through eight above.
Career Studies Certificate Requirements
MGCC offers several certificate programs, which are described by category in this catalog and range from 9 CR to 29 CR. To be awarded a certificate, the student must have completed all academic requirements for the particular certificate and also have completed numbers five through eight above.
Continuing Education Units
CEUs can be granted for participation in the continuing education experiences provided by the College and do not carry regular academic credit. Further information concerning CEUs may be obtained from the Workforce Solutions department.